The butt welding method is one of the three methods of installing HDPE pipes that are being applied more and more popular today.
Currently, HDPE plastic pipes are replaced by conventional plastic pipes because of their high durability and ability to withstand all kinds of harsh weather. HDPE pipes are not only in the water supply and drainage industry but also serve many other industries such as the food industry, energy industry, …. When installing HDPE pipes, an indispensable thing is welding and connecting pipes. If this operation is not technically guaranteed, it will lead to bad consequences such as damage to the entire pipeline when in use, open, not tight pipes, broken pipes,…
HDPE pipes produced by EUROPIPE
HDPE pipes often use butt welding to join together, this is the most convenient and popular method in Vietnam. And here, EUROPIPE – Euro Green Plastics Co., Ltd. will work with you to learn how to weld HDPE pipes to the standards.
There are 3 common methods of connecting HDPE pipes as follows:
1. Method of butt heat welding.
2. Resistance welding method.
3. Connection method using live coupling (threaded fittings).
Today, EUROPIPE teaches you how to install HDPE pipes using the butt-welding method.
Method of installation of HDPE by butt-welding heat:
In this step, we will prepare the necessary tools.
2. Clean and fasten
– Clip the pipe down to the welding mold, clean the joint parts, cut the joint edges, and then adjust the joint parts so that the deviation is less than 10% of the pipe wall direction.
Place in solder panel.
Remove the heating plate after completing the heating, connect the two heating elements briefly, increase the pressure to the head-to-head joint pressure and hold until cool down.
The welding and pipe connection process is complete.
* Notes when welding HDPE pipes:
1. When cutting pipes, they must cut straight, perpendicular to the center of pipes, and before heating, the surface of pipes must be smoothed and cleaned to avoid the phenomenon of incomplete welds affecting the quality of pipes.
2. When connecting pipes, the pipe must be centered, the welding edge is not too sharp, otherwise, it will create fracture stress and reduce the strength of the weld.
3. The heating surface is too dry due to the rapid cooling of the heating element before welding, which can cause the weld to be brittle at the contact surface. The molten part on the outside is good, but the inside is not filled, which easily leads to pipe breakage, which reduces the quality of the pipe.
4. For large pipes, when welding pipes, we should use concrete blocks to fix pipes before welding.